Long Island Weather
Hurricane Preparedness Checklist
DO NOT DRIVE OR TRAVEL UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
If you must drive, travel or evacuate, remember to do the following:
If you must drive:
- Pack an emergency travel kit designed to survive extended traffic delays or road closures. The kit should include water, food for all travelers including pets, extra clothing and blankets, fully-charged cell phones, battery operated NOAA weather radio, extra batteries, and extra medications.
- Be sure to have a full tank of gasoline.
- Never drive through high water or flooded areas.
- Be aware of fallen trees, limbs and downed power lines.
If you must travel:
- Stay abreast of local forecasts both at your departure city and your destination.
- Check your airline flight status before leaving for the airport.
- Check with your hotel for local updates on the storm's impact.
- Monitor weather conditions on a regular basis as things can change quickly.
- Travel with only a carry-on bag when flying. This will give you greater flexibility if your schedule changes and you will have your luggage with you if delayed.
- Pack "emergency" comforts with you like snacks, rain coats, and extra clothing, etc. A flashlight with good batteries, radio and extra water are essential.
- Heed all evacuation advisories and/or orders.
If you must evacuate:
- In case of evacuation, plan NOW where you will go and have the plan in place where your family members will meet to evacuate.
- Know multiple routes to your destination.
- Secure your home the best you can.
- Top off your car's gas tank before the storm.
- Have a print-out of all important phone numbers.
- Have your "go" bag ready with all essentials. Clothing, first aid kit, medications, etc. Have at least three day's worth, if not more, of medications and supplies - especially for infants and the elderly.
- Have three days' worth of water, one gallon per day per person, and for your pets.
- Have canned foods and energy/vitamin bars.
- Have flashlights and extra batteries.
- Have a portable radio, monitor the advisories and be prepared for anything.
- Have cash on hand, as ATMs and banks may not be accessible.
- Have protective clothing, rain gear, blankets or sleeping bags.
Long Island - Accounting Acupuncture Advertising Airports Alarm Appliances Aquariums Architects Arts Associations Attractions Auto Body Automotive Awnings Bagels Bakeries Beaches Beer Bicycle Boating and Marinas Books Burgers Car Clubs Car Dealerships Car Washes Carpet Cartoons Catering Halls Chambers of Commerce Charities Chimney Chiropractors Chocolate Churches Cigars Cleaning Services Closets Clothing and Apparel Coffee Colleges and Universities Computers Cosmetic Surgery Counties, Towns, Villages Country Music Coupons Cupcakes Dance Data Recovery Dating Day Care Dentists Diners Dry Cleaners Eateries Eats Electricians Electronics Environmental Eye Care Facts Fairs and Festivals Farms Farmers Markets Fences and Gates Financial Fire Departments Fireworks Fishing Flooring Flowers Funeral Furniture Furs Gardening Gasoline Gifts Golf Graphic Design Green Gutters Hair Hair Removal Halloween Health and Fitness Heating History Hobby Home Entertainment Home Improvement Home Inspection Hospitals Hotels and Resorts Human Resources HVAC Hypnosis Ice Cream Ice Tea Insurance Internet Jewelry Jobs Kayak Kids Knitting Landscaping Law Libraries Lighthouses Limousines Locksmiths Magazines Malls Manufacturing Maps and Travel Marketing Martial Arts Massage Medical Misc Mortgage Movie Theaters Movies Moving and Storage Mulch Museums Music News and Media Nightlife Office Orthodontics Painting Parks Party Peeps Pest Control Pets Photography Pizza Plumbers Police Departments Politics Pools and Pool Supplies Power Washing Project Management Psychiatric Psychics Radio Real Estate Restaurants Roofing and Roof Repairs Schools Seniors Septic and Sewage Sheds Shoes Signs Skin Care Solar Spas Sports Sprinklers and Irrigation Summer Camps Supermarkets Surfing Swimming Tanning Tattoo Taxes Tile Transportation Travel Tools and Tool Rentals Tutor Utilities Vending Machines Video Video Games Vineyards and Wineries Vitamins Waterproofing Weather Weddings Windows Wine Writers Yoga
Long-Island-Portal™ : Long Island, New York : The Best of The Best on LI, NY